Monday, January 7, 2008

POKE 53280,0: Pete Brown's Blog : Why I stopped my Silverlight 1.1 Work

Since there is no go-live license planned for 1.1 code, it's DOA for anyone not using it for academic purposes.  Looks like we will be waiting a few more months for 2.0 to go beta.

If you want to learn Silverlight today but don't plan to deploy until 2.0 is out, what would I recommend? I recommend a two-pronged approach of learning 1.0 with JavaScript and learning how to write basic WPF XBAPs using features that Scott and others have announced will be in Silverlight. IMHO, this is the best way to prepare yourself for 2.0. Learning 1.0 will get you familiar with how the browser-based Silverlight applications work, and how they fit into larger web pages. Most importantly, you'll be able to write real production-ready code, even if it is just proof of concept. Learning the basics of WPF will prepare you for some of the things that may end up in Silverlight 2.0, as mentioned by Scott and others and will also teach you another valuable RIA platform in the process. It's win-win.

POKE 53280,0: Pete Brown's Blog : Why I stopped my Silverlight 1.1 Work

No comments: